Wednesday, September 24, 2008

37 weeks - getting ready

Although we didn't get *everything* done, I think we had a pretty productive weekend.

First, a progress photo. 37w, 1d. I know I say it every time, but I can't imagine getting any bigger than this! But every day, BBC stretches and kicks and makes the belly grow and grow. Unbelievable. Strangely enough, I know part of me will miss it when it's gone, even though I'll also be thrilled to be able to breathe freely and touch my toes again.

Anyway, back to the weekend... Saturday morning, I woke up early and eager to start getting things done! I went into the nursery to do some more painting (more on that shortly), sorted BBC's clothes and linens, and got things ready to wash! Later that day, Dennis assembled the swing and bouncy seat (mostly to get the boxes out of the way, but it's pretty cool to see them there all put together).

We also packed hospital bags (yay!) and made an attempt to get the car seats installed (still working on that one - worst case, it can be done at the hospital). The hospital bag packing was actually a little comical. If it fits him, BBC will be coming home in this cute little dinosaur outfit (Thanks, Taylor!). But I also packed a sleeper in case that outfit just doesn't fit for some reason. Good, right? Sure.

Then I got to thinking... if he wears the sleeper home, he won't have a hat! (So I packed an extra hat to match the sleeper.)

Then I realized if he wears the dinosaur outfit home, he will have bare feet! (So I packed some socks.)

Then it occurred to me that he didn't have any mittens packed for either outfit and could claw his own eyes out on the drive home! (So I packed a pair of mittens. They don't match the dinosaur outfit, so it'll be a bummer if he wears that and we do have to use the mittens.)

THEN I realized it's a 45-minute drive home from the hospital. What if he poops halfway home and I don't have any diapers of wipes?! Granted, the hospital typically sends you home with diapers. And I probably won't even know if he's pooped during the trip home, but those extra minutes would kill me if I did know and he had to sit in his own poop because I didn't think to bring a diaper. (So I packed a diaper and some wipes.)

Yeah. I figure I'll look back on this later and marvel at what a typically ridiculous first-time-Mom I was about the whole thing. It's probably good that I am already somewhat aware of the comedic value of this slapstick misadventure.

-------------------
In other news, I did wash BBC's clothes this weekend, up to about size 6 months. I figure I'll wait and wash the 9 and 12 month sizes when he's closer to actually fitting into them. No need for them to get musty in the meantime. I also washed all of the crib sheets. Naturally, being an amazing Mom, I completely neglected to wash any blankets, towels, or washcloths the first time through. I also forgot to throw in half of the socks and one pair of jeans. I did remedy that on Monday evening, though, and everything is ready to go now. His drawers look pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. I hope I have the energy to keep them neat after he gets here.





Nursery painting continues to be my biggest ongoing project outside of actually growing the kid. Some people have asked about the process... here's the 411:

  1. Scan the patterns from the bedding and import into a Microsoft Power Point file.
  2. Create transparencies from printouts of the slides.
  3. Project the chosen pattern onto the wall.
  4. Very very carefully, paint as indicated by the projected image. It is particularly tough to get a crisp edge on our textured walls, and this process takes quite a while. Of course, no 2 adjoining colors can be wet at the same time, so this typically involves painting the outermost color, then the 3rd, then the fifth (if there are that many). Naturally, it also involves comic attempts not to get your hands (or giant belly) in the wet paint.
  5. Allow the first coat of paint to dry. Turn off but do NOT move the projector. You may still need it, depending on how many color layers the patterned square has.
  6. Finish with additional colors as applicable and allow to dry.
  7. Repeat steps 4-6 with a second coat of paint. (The red color requires at least 3 coats. Fun.)
  8. Go back for minor touchups (including outer edge touch-ups with the pale yellow wall color).
  9. Repeat steps 1-8 ad infinitum for what seems like a zillion different squares at different heights and sizes.

I'm betting it's extra comical to watch a 9-months pregnant person crouched on the floor trying to paint a crisp edge. But Dennis insists that this is my project and my project alone, and he refuses to help. Something about my having a sense of accomplishment when it is done. A likely story, I say. ;)



I also finally got some number stencils and am pretty pleased with the way that is turning out. And I caved and bought wooden letters to paint scatter throughout the room. You can see evidence of both in some of the photos below (numbers on the wall, letters still on the dresser/project staging area).


I think I need just a few more squares higher up on the walls (the west wall hardly has anything at this point). By the time I add 26 9.5" wooden letters, the walls will be VERY full. If I'd planned ahead about the letters and numbers, I might have done better. As it was, I was just trying to be sortof random.

I figure if I can really dedicate myself to it this weekend, it can be done by Monday. I'd really like to have the whole thing done, cleaned up, and put together before BBC comes, of course, and I'm hoping Dennis is right about his being a few days early.

Really, my original plan was to be 100% done by a couple of weeks ago. But I think we're doing OK at this point. Just painting + carseat installation + a little more shopping, and I think we'll be ready. (Bigger stuff like researching and opening a 529 account will just have to wait until after he's here.)

2 comments:

Tink1272 said...

So Cute!!! And what fantastic ideas your friends had for showers! BBC is such a lucky kid.

Wifezzilla said...

The painting looks nice, I can't wait to see the finished product.

And it made me laugh thinking about the hospital bag, that's probably one of the first things i'd ever do. my frined told me that she waited until the last minute and packed things like a hair dryer and nail polish remover. she didn't realize all the things you never will use there.

isn't it amazing to look back and realize how it seems like just yesterday you were getting ready for India?!