I had no intention of buying maternity clothes for many, many weeks. But JC Penney was having a HUGE sale, and I had a gift card that's been burning a hole in my pocket for over a year. I got 1 pair of maternity pants for $7 and 2 plain long-sleeved t-shirts for $5 each. They don't look THAT huge, but I haven't tried them on yet.
Anyway, I felt like such a poser. I was sure everyone was looking at me thinking, "She's one of the crazy ones who buys baby stuff before she's even pregnant." I wanted to scream that I really AM pregnant and I'm just here because of the big sale, and how will I find $7 maternity pants when I really need them?! Of course, I know that no one actually cares if I am shopping in the maternity dept. or not. Please. It's all in my head. And let me tell ya, it was only about 5 racks out of the whole entire store. Still, it was like buying tampons for the first time or something - I almost wanted to sneak other things in so people wouldn't know what I was buying.
There was one other woman shopping in the maternity section. She was showing, but didn't seem to be too far along. While we were browsing one of the two tiny sale racks, a baby started screaming bloody murder about 50 feet away. We sortof looked up and then at each other with a sortof alarmed look on our faces (Oh shit. That's us in a few months.) - I'll call that my first camaraderie with another pregnant woman, even if I did feel like a fraud in the maternity section.
Friday, February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment