Monday, February 18, 2008

We have a heartbeat!

Wow. Just wow.

Baby Cooley is 7.8 mm long and has a 126 bpm heartbeat!

I really didn't know how we would react - I was afraid I'd just find the whole thing completely surreal and not be able to grasp it or something. But in the end I was so surprised to see what I saw that I was able to just react (with an audible gasp) and not worry about the rest too much. It really does make it more real.

Dennis was amazing, too. He got to see the monitor before I did, due to his being able to stand up and orient himself in the room properly. As soon as she started, he said, "It's a boy!" Always a comedian. :)

At one point, he asked, "is he upside down?" thinking that the yolk sac was the head. (I didn't really know what I was seeing either, besides the heartbeat. The yolk sac sure looked like a giant fetus head to me, too.) Mary the technician was fabulous and told us everything we were seeing - I hope we get to see a lot more of her.

So, we are 100% on track for where we're supposed to be. I am technically 6w5d, and the baby is measuring 6w4d. Heart rate is perfect for this stage, too.

So, baby Cooley is perfect already! Of course, I never had any doubts.

3 comments:

DGC said...

Little guy has a ticker!
That ticks!
Fast!

I'll need to read more on ultrasound interpretation for the next one, although it should be a lot more defined and easier to visuilize which static is the kid and which static is background.
DWC

Wifezzilla said...

This is all so amazing, congrats on the heartbeat!

I have to keep reigning in my husband from telling people, and he has no idea i've shared news on the knot. :)

Sarah said...

Aaaah! This is so cool! I can't believe I just saw this now. I'm so excited for you. Please tell me I get to help plan/attend a shower.