So, I had my first nightmare about labor & delivery last night. I'm not even 10 weeks pregnant yet - I hope I don't have 30 weeks of nightmares ahead of me.
Maybe the weirdest part was that the nightmare wasn't as much about the pain as it was just bizarre.
First, I was only like 36 weeks pregnant in the dream, and somehow I was in the hospital and being checked for no apparent reason. They determined that the baby was at "+7 station" (yeah, there is no such thing), and we could feel the baby's head protruding from the birth canal. Yep. The baby was crowning and hadn't even realized I was in labor. HA!
Because the labor had progressed so far, I couldnt' opt for the c-section I wanted. But I was kindof OK with that because the baby was so early and therefore likely smaller (but still healthy, of course).
That's all well and good. They put me in a room with a row of chairs (like a waiting room) and had me, along with other laboring women, kneel on the chairs and lean against the wall. Bizarre. Then, the L&D nurse who had been helping me quit her job mid-shift and just walked out. I was like, "we're crowning over here. You couldn't wait 15 minutes to quit?!" Turns out in dreamland, crowning doesn't mean much, because there was no delivery progress for a looooong time.
Dennis showed up and, for some reason, was part of a large extended mixed-race family who refused to leave me alone. (We were somehow related to Barack Obama, who had been at the family BBQ that summer. Michelle Obama was one of the uninvited guests in the delivery room.) They literally arrived at the hospital by bus. People walked into the delivery room unannounced and uninvited. At one point, someone came in with a giant cooler of beer. Dennis chose that time to sort the beer, because he said otherwise everyone else would drink his favorites and there wouldn't be any good stuff left when the delivery was over. (At that point, I asked him if he wanted to feel the baby's head. He said no, he had to deal with the beer. I was pissed.)
At one point, he morphed into a 70 year old black man, and I felt like I had to explain to the L&D nurses that I really wasn't having Ben Vereen's love child. Eventually, though, he morphed back.
The docs & nurses were as uninterested as Dennis and were just checking on me periodically, instead of providing the more intense attention warranted for someone for whom birth is imminent.
Anyway, the baby never progressed past that point, even though it had been well over an hour in the dream, and I woke up before anything significant happened, baby-wise.
Please, no more nightmares for a while, ok?
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment