Monday, August 4, 2008

30w3d update

Had another doctor's appointment today. As usual, there's not much to report. We're measuring 31 cm, which is exactly where we're supposed to be. Doc wouldn't give a weight estimate, citing evidence that there's no real reliable method for estimating fetal weight - apparently even ultrasound can be way off.

Still, we did get an ultrasound scheduled for 8/13, so maybe we'll know if we're looking at a 5 pounder or a 10 pounder. I don't know whether to hope he's big or not. (Dennis is not torn - he's hoping for a 10 pound baby.)

Not much in the way of nursery/gear updates. I did find this Pack-N-Play on sale at Target. So I'm going to go ahead and get it, but I won't unpack it yet. I may also pick up a crib sheet & pad, just so we have at least one.

BBC has been moving around like crazy for the last few days. That's always reassuring. Dennis even got to feel a lot of the gymnastics this morning. It's pretty entertaining stuff.

I did get my first "that baby must be about ready to come out!" comment today. Um, no. 2 more months, thanks. Mostly, I've been lucky. 7 months, and I've only had one uninvited belly touch (which was just a tap and not a grab) and one questionable comment about my size/weight. From what I hear, that's pretty good.

Hopefully we'll have something interesting to update soon. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your doctor has some sense -- ultrasounds are not especially accurate for estimating weight. It tracks the mother's birth weight most closely, I understand. That having been said, what on earth is Dennis thinking? Bigger does not mean better when it comes to birth weight; babies are healthy and thrive at many different weights. Same with your baby's percentiles as he grows -- it's not like a test where 100% is the best grade. (Says the mother of the 7 lb. 6 oz. baby who's now in the 10th percentile for weight despite the fact that he eats like a horse). The other factor affecting birth weight is gestational diabetes. But, even if the baby is 10 lbs., women deliver 10 lb.+ babies all the time -- nothing to be afraid of.