So, last night was a little scary. Mostly because I'm the type who will take a minor non-event and mentally carry it to its worst-case conclusion. (Read: Nothing bad actually happened.)
We had a pretty big weekend. It was really hot. We did some work outside, some work inside, ran around doing errands, etc. Nothing earth-shatteringly traumatic.
Well, last night I had maybe 4 Braxton Hicks contractions in a roughly 90 minute time period. BH contractions are perfectly normal and happen throughout pregnancy. But the books do tell you to chill out if you have 5 or more in an hour, because they can progress into actual labor. So, even though 4 in 90 minutes is NOT 5 in 60 miniutes, I managed to have a small mental freakout.
I did what the books said (lie down for an hour and drink lots of water), and sure enough, I didn't have a single contraction for that entire hour. Crisis averted.
But of course the whole time I was thinking about what would happen if they didn't stop, that I have such a stellar relationship with the people at my doctor's office that I'm afraid to call them, that even though I think of him as all but ready to come out (we're well past the viability stage, after all), it would be very, very bad to have a baby at 29 weeks.
A more realistic worry (although admittedly only slightly more realistic) is that I might end up on bed rest at any time, and we are NOT READY. We don't have sheets for his bed. Or diapers. Or a carseat!
So I am freshly motivated to go get things and get stuff done. I have big baby shopping plans for this evening.
In the meantime, BBC, stay right where you are, OK? OK.
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment